Instructions for Back Extension
Exercise to control and strengthen multifidus muscles
- Begin on knees with hands behind head and head & upper body flexed over the ball (lumbar flexion),
- Lift head and upper body so that the lower back is parallel to the ground (lumbar neutral),
- Perform sets and repetitions of this exercise (ask the doctor for the recommended number of sets and repetitions),
- Hold head and upper body parallel to the ground (lumbar neutral postion) with each repetition; ask the doctor for specific hold time.
Instructions for Abdominal Hollowing
Exercise to control and strengthen transverse abdominal muscles
- Begin in a 4-point stance - kneeling on hands and knees.
- Suck belly in. Bring your belly button up toward your spine. Suck your stomach away from your belt.
- Hold your stomach sucked in and continue to breathe.
- Hold your stomach sucked in, continue to breathe and do cross extensions of arm and opposite leg. Hold each repetition in cross extension (ask the doctor for recommended hold time).